skip to main content
College of Liberal Arts
University of Mississippi

Transcripts & Transfer Courses

Current Undergraduates  ⟩  Advising & CLA Student Services  ⟩  Transcripts & Transfer Courses

Mr. Wayne Shaw

Manager Transfer Equivalency/Data Analyst
College of Liberal Arts
103 Ventress Hall

“As Transfer Equivalency Manager for the College of Liberal Arts, I coordinate the determination of transfer course equivalencies for all courses that fall under the departments in the College. I work with our students, departments, and other academic offices around campus to help make the determination process move as quickly and smoothly as possible. I am here to help so if you have questions or concerns about transfer work, please let me know.”

How do I transfer credit to UM?

When a transfer student is admitted to the University of Mississippi Oxford campus and registers for an orientation session, then all transfer course work is evaluated and a transfer equivalency report is created showing all accepted credits. Students applying at the regional campuses….
My Transfer Equivalency Report – Current UM students and admitted transfer students who have registered for an orientation session can find out how their courses transfer to UM. This report requires a myOleMiss login. Here are a few notes about what you might see on the report, which provides comprehensive information for each transfer course and a summary of the work from each transfer institution.

  • Direct Transfer. If the community college course matches at UM course in content and number of credits, the course will transfer directly to a UM course.
  • Combination Agreements. Sometimes a combination of courses is required to receive credit for a UM course. This might happen if UM offers a combined science lecture/lab course, but the transfer institution offers separate lecture and lab courses.
  • Department Generic Credit. If a UM department does not have a directly matching course, then students will receive generic department credit with an indication of the level of the course – lower division courses at the 100 and 200 level while the upper division courses are at the 300 and 400 levels. For example, a student receiving generic political science credit at the 100 level will show POL 1XX.
  • UM Generic Credit. Academic courses that do not match a discipline offered by a department at UM may be give elective UM credit at the appropriate level of the course. For example, a student might receive lower division credit such as UM 1XX or UM 2XX or upper-division credit such as UM 3XX or UM 4XX.
  • No UM Credit. Students do not receive transfer credit for courses designated for technical or vocational career programs. Questions about this issue may be directed to the Office of the Registrar.

How do I see what credit transfers to UM?

The Transfer Course Equivalency Online Database is a public database showing how courses from external institutions equate to coursework here at UM. A course that is not listed in the database does not necessarily mean that it does not transfer. It simply means the course has not been brought to UM by a previous student and will need to be evaluated. Contact the Office of the Registrar for questions.

What are the rules concerning transfer work for my UM degree?

There are some university rules concerning transfer credit that are found in the UM catalog. Here are a few.

  • No more than half of the coursework submitted for a degree may be from a community college.
  • No more than 6 of the last 21 hours can be transfer work.
  • Twenty-five percent (25%) of the total hours counted toward the UM degree must be taken in residence at UM.

The College of Liberal Arts has an additional relevant rule – twelve (12) hours of the courses applied toward the major must be taken in residence and six (6) hours of the courses applied toward the minor must be taken in residence.

How do I request a copy of my UM transcript?

Complete the form found in MyOleMiss. Any questions regarding your official UM transcript should be directed to the Office of the Registrar.

What is the process if I want to take a course at another institution after enrolling at UM?

Students must have written approval from their academic dean before enrolling in a course at another institution. Students in the College of Liberal Arts should complete a Permission to Transfer Credit Form. Without this approval, you risk not being awarded transfer credit if the course does not equate to UM, does not satisfy degree requirements, is taken from unaccredited institutions, or other rule conflicts.

If you need to research courses at other institutions, the CollegeSource College Catalog Database might be a helpful resource along with the UM Transfer Course Equivalency Online Database.

What are the rules about credit-by-examination?

The UM Catalog has the Credit by Examination tables such as Advanced Placement (AP), Cambridge International (and AICE), College Level Examination Program (CLEP), International Baccalaureate, Advanced Standing Exams, and Military Credit.