Commencement time is special for all of us at UM, and the CLA Student Services office has a primary responsibility for guiding graduating seniors through the steps of the process and completing their degree.
While students may end up with a graduation date of May, August, or December, there is only one set of commencement ceremonies at UM – in May.
When will I graduate?
||MAKE SURE YOU ARE
ELIGIBLE FOR THIS DATE
|WHEN YOU CAN WALK
|May (Spring Semester)
||Select this date if you will have all of your degree requirements completed by the end of the Spring term. (If you plan to take a final course in May intersession, you must select August Intersession as the date of graduation.)
|August Intersession (Summer Session)
||Select this date if you plan to have completed all degree requirements by the end of August Intersession* August Intersession graduates will be invited to walk in May Commencement.
||August Intersession grads may participate in May Commencement, provided the college of Liberal Arts has approved their diploma authorization for August Intersession graduation.
|December (Fall Semester)
||Select this date if you plan to have completeted all degree requirements by the end of the Fall term. (If you plan to take a course during January Intersession, you must select May as the date of graduation.)
||December graduates will be invited back to UM to walk in the following May’s Commencement ceremony.
How do I graduate?
- Graduating seniors will receive an email from CLA Student Services with specific deadlines and instructions at least two semesters in advance of the term in which they intend to graduate.
- May and August graduates submit the letter during the fall semester – tends to be during September and October.
- December graduates submit the letter in the middle of the spring semester.
- Students submit the letter of intent by the specified deadline. While filling out you Letter of Intent, keep in mind:
- Pay special attention to the date of graduation selected, make sure you select the correct term as explained in the table above.
- Fill in the major(s) and minor(s) for your degree.
- Inform our office of the courses in the current semester and upcoming semesters to complete the degree.
- Read and initial each of the statements as indicated on the Intent to Graduate form. This is extremely important, so please read it carefully and contact CLA Student Services firstname.lastname@example.org or 662-915-7177 with any questions.
- Submit your Letter of Intent to Graduate form.
- CLA Student Services staff will review the form, and email a letter to the student that the plan for graduation does or does not satisfy the degree requirements.
- It is the student’s responsibility to successfully complete the approved degree program requirements. Only communications from the CLA Student Services office is final regarding graduation status. Therefore, it is ESSENTIAL to immediately ask any questions if anything changes or there is anything that does not agree with your records or that you do not understand.
- With the CLA Student Services approval of the student’s graduation plan, the Office of the Registrar will email the student prompting the submission of an online Diploma Application. It is EXTREMELY important to complete this step. Your name will not appear in the graduation program, and your degree cannot be conferred nor posted to your UM transcript unless this step has been completed.
- After the final semester at UM, CLA Student Services will check the courses and grades, and submit the list of approved graduates to the Office of the Registrar within 30 days of the end of the semester.
Contact email@example.com or call 662-915-7177 if you have any or questions or need assistance with submitting the Intent to Graduate Form or any part of the graduation process.