Alfred Hume joined the faculty in 1890 as a professor of mathematics and later also taught civil engineering. He became dean of the College of Liberal Arts in 1905 and served concurrently as vice chancellor until becoming chancellor in 1924. Enrollment grew rapidly during his tenure, and campus was expanded to accommodate the growing student body, with the addition of new gymnasium, dormitories, a football stadium, a new building for the School of Law and a high school. Governor Theodore Bilbo fired him in 1930. He taught at Southwestern at Memphis before returning as chancellor in 1932. He served again as acting chancellor in 1942-1943 while Chancellor Butts was on military service. Still teaching at the time of his death, he served the university for 58 years.