skip to main content

College of Liberal Arts

University of Mississippi

Transfer Credit General FAQs

Visit the Transfer Equivalency Report FAQs for information about your Transfer Equivalency Report or how your particular transfer work counts.

Do I have to get permission to take a transfer course from another academic institution?

If you are already enrolled at the University of Mississippi or if you have been previously enrolled at the University of Mississippi, then you must fill out a Permission To Transfer Credit Form.

If you are a new student who has never taken any coursework from the University of Mississippi, you do not have to fill out the Permission To Transfer Credit Form for the coursework you took prior to enrolling at the University. However, you must fill out a Permission To Transfer Credit Form for all subsequent transfer courses that you plan to take after having been enrolled at the University.

The College of Liberal Arts adheres strictly to University policy regarding courses taken by a University of Mississippi student at another institution. Written permission must be granted by the dean prior to enrolling in courses at another institution. Unapproved transfer courses will not be accepted.

How do I turn in a Permission To Transfer Credit Form?

The form may be submitted in person at the Dean’s Office of the College of Liberal Arts in Leseter Hall 320. Alternatively, the form may be mailed to the address below for students who are not in Oxford.

The College of Liberal Arts
216 George Hall
P.O. Box 1848
University, MS 38677-1848

How long does it take for my Permission To Transfer Credit Form to be processed?

If a transfer agreement already exists for the course in the Transfer Equivalency Database, then it typically takes 1 or 2 days to process the form. If a transfer agreement does not already exist, it will take longer because we will have to contact the department in question to determine the transfer agreement.

Additional time for processing must be allowed if the form is turned in at the end of a semester or summer term or near priority registration.

If I decide to take a different course than the one I put on my form, do I need to fill out a new form?

Yes. When a Permission To Transfer Credit Form is approved, it is approved only for the specific courses taken at the specified institutions on the form. Any changes in the courses taken or in the institution at which the courses are taken require that a new form be filled out and submitted.

Will all of my transfer work count toward graduation?

Not all transfer work will necessarily count to graduation requirements. The list which follows, although not exhaustive, shows several regulations that apply to transfer work and graduation requirements.

  • No more than half of the coursework submitted for a degree may be from a community college.
  • No more than 6 of the last 21 hours can be transfer work and/or independent study.
  • Twenty-five percent (25%) of the total hours counted toward the degree must be taken in residence.
  • Twelve (12) hours of the courses applied toward the major must be taken in residence.
  • Six (6) hours of the courses applied toward the minor must be taken in residence.

One of the main purposes of the Permission To Transfer Credit Form is to help guarantee that transfer work will count toward graduation requirements.

How do courses transfer from one of the Mississippi Community Colleges?

The Mississippi Community and Junior Colleges (MCJC) follow a Uniform Course Numbering System. Any course listed in Uniform Course Numbering System document will transfer the same way regardless of the MCJC institution at which it is taken. For example, MAT 1313 transfer as Math 121 at the University of Mississippi whether it is taken at Hinds Community College, Itawamba Community College, or Northwest Mississippi Community College.

If a course appears in the Uniform Course Numbering System, its transfer agreement can be found under “Mississippi Community Colleges (C999999)” in the Transfer Equivalency Database. If a course taught at one of the MCJC institutions does not appear in the Uniform Course Numbering System, then its transfer agreement would be listed under the individual school.

IMPORTANT: Be sure to click the “Show agreement details” option to see the start and end effective dates of the agreements. Many of the biology transfer agreements have changed over time.

Is there a list of all of the existing transfer agreements for courses from other institutions?

Yes. The Transfer Equivalency Database is a searchable, online database containing all the existing transfer agreements in the system.